57 posts in this topic

To those interested in LN's I'd suggest checking Yen Press's website for their releases. They've licensed a good chunk of Dengeki Bunko (To aru, Accel, SAO, Drrr, etc.) line up over the past two years.

Another LN i'm excited for is Rising of the Shield Hero / Tate Yuusha. I read all of the web novel as yuroikun translated and released them on his blog. Great story, too bad One Piece has a horrendous editing department.

34 minutes ago, OtakUub said:

To those interested in LN's I'd suggest checking Yen Press's website for their releases. They've licensed a good chunk of Dengeki Bunko (To aru, Accel, SAO, Drrr, etc.) line up over the past two years.

Another LN i'm excited for is Rising of the Shield Hero / Tate Yuusha. I read all of the web novel as yuroikun translated and released them on his blog. Great story, too bad One Piece has a horrendous editing department.

*HISSSSSSSSSSS*

You've said... The magic title...

Buuut, all my hate aside... Erm... Well... Uh... I don't begrudge your tastes, just... Yeah. One Piece. Ick. I'm sorry that's all I have to say. I'll go sit in the corner now.

My top 10 LNs that I've ever read.

1. Index (+New Testament)
2.HakoMari

3.Mahouka 
4.The Rise of The Shield Hero (More of a web novel than an LN)
5.Gekkou (1 volume story)
6.DxD 
7.Campione
8.Baka to Test
9.Sword Art Online 
10.Haruhi Suzumiya.

Am I the only one who likes Hataraku Maou-Sama? Next year I'm gonna buy the translated volumes ^^

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Rengo said:

Am I the only one who likes Hataraku Maou-Sama? Next year I'm gonna buy the translated volumes ^^

I need to read it, but I happened to love the anime. I think I'll be with you on buying the volumes as they come out.

1 person likes this

On 11/5/2015, 4:32:05, PulakK said:

I heard Type-Moon actually debuted with an LN series called...erm...Kara no Kyōkai (had to copy-paste that from Wikipedia, lol). So I've downloaded the fan translation and I plan on reading it soon.

I've also read a bit of Danganronpa Zero, but didn't find it as engaging as the main VNs.

Dunno where you heard that, but it's only partially correct, Type-Moon's debut work was Tsukihime (and they were just a doujin group at the time) their first release as an Official Company was Fate/Stay Night.  Kara no Kyoukai was one of Nasu's first works, I don't recall what he started first as both Mahoyo and Fate/Stay Night were written back when he was in High School, I believe Kara no Kyoukai came about in College or so? and even then it was just chapters posted online on his website or whatever, nothing like an actual release or anything.  It was only many years later when Type-Moon exploded in popularity that Kara no Kyoukai (which is like a Prototype Tsukihime, and by "like" I mean it pretty much is) was later given a physical LN release.

The DxD anime is ...well I'd call Seasons 1 and 2 faithful, Season 3 is a giant cluster**** that should be avoided.  Oddly the author of the novels was involved in this season, so I don't know how it got so screwed up.  It changes the events of novels around, cuts out big parts from some novels and adds in stories from later ones, uses anime original content mixed in with novel stroylines.  It also tries to condense three or four books into only 12 episodes, while Seasons 1 and 2 only adapted two books each.  Unfortunately there's no Official Release of the Light Novels, and the existing fan translation is ..well it's readable to a certain extent, but I would hesitate to call it "Good".  It's also slowed to a massive crawl this year, which is unfortunate.  

Mahouka/The Irregular at Magic High is a kind of guilty pleasure of mine.  The main character is a blatant Mary Sue (or whatever the male term for that is, I forget) and while I'm okay with it, it's seriously annoying after awhile that everyone keeps talking about how amazing he is and how he's the strongest character ever.  The author is also pretty racist, the way the Chinese and Americans are protratyed in the storyline could just be just that, simply for the sake of a storyline, but I'm not so sure considering how almost literally ever Chinese and American character is portrayed as a Villain, and second or third generation Japanese are treated like second class citizens.  It's a guilty pleasure to me since the action is fairly cool and when they aren't spending all their time talking about the main character, the rest of the cast is pretty enjoyable at times.  

Actually speaking of translations, it's a huge shame that YenPress' releases of No Game No Life are their worst work, I'm really not sure what went on hear since they usually put out top quality translations, but the fan translations for NGNL are much better.

Edited by Exia

I apologize if this is considered a dead post revival.

I'm new to LNs. I've mostly read mainstream ones everyone else is reading such as...

Shield Hero  Webnovel CH. 309 LN. 2 (I loved the MC starting out and the new take of exploring a world as a support seems fun.)
Sword Art Online LN Vol2 (Feels like relieving the old online era boom. Plus it's fun. Skipping Fairy Arc & Gun)
Spice & Wolf (starting soon)
Dangan Ronpa Zero & If 
Kara no Kyoukai (the summaries. Back in the Beast Lair's Forum days.)

Edit: 12/6
Forgot one
Sword Art Online Progressive LN Vol. 2
(If you would like to talk to me about any of those series. I would like to talk IM or  through pm)

I hope to read these when or if they are released
Maoyu Maou Yusha (Manga was nice) , Jobless Reincarnation (First volume of the manga was great) , & Overlord (I've heard good things about it).

After hearing everyone else suggestion. I hope to try a Certain Magical index &  Mahouka. (If I go this route I feel I'll end up buying Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax: Ignition)

Heres a drawing of Shield hero.

SH.jpg

Edited by Arvs