57 posts in this topic

I figure that, since I made a thread to discuss VNs, maybe probing around for LNs could spawn some decent conversation too.

This is a field where I'm less informed than the other, having only been exposed to SAO, Accel World, Hataraku Maou-sama (Which to be honest, I've only watched the anime), HakoMari, and, my personal favorite/first LN, All You Need is Kill, which is an awesome Sci-Fi Military Action piece, and, unfortunately, adapted into a crappy Tom Cruise movie.

Come on in and share your own experiences with LNs!

I read a bunch of different Japanese literature: novels, light novels and web novels alike.

My favourite "theme" is reincarnation. Really have a soft spot on that, probably comes from all those great stories that involve the rebirth in another world scenario. A couple of light/web novels that I can heartly recommend are: Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~, Spirit Migration, Re: Monster, The Lazy King, World Teacher and Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken, amongst many other titles.

Virtual Reality web novels can also be pretty fun. Trans Sexual Online, for one, won't fail to put a smile on your face. The same goes for Shinka no Mi and its rather amusing human/gorilla protagonist couple. Konjiko no Wordmaster is another favourite of mine here. There are of course more heavier novels as well: Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou, Overlord, and The Epic Tale of the Forsaken Hero can be pretty cruel at times for example.

Gate - Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri however is my all-time favourite novel. ;)

Edited by Kamigoroshi

I've currently got No Game No Life Vol.2 and Black Bullet Vol.1 to read through

I was just reading The Guild's Cheat Receptionist, I liked it a good bit, but there're only two chapters translated and I'm not sure if there's even a second volume released. It was pretty shallow though.

I can attest to what Kamigoroshi's said, he's listed some good stuff.

One that he didn't mention that I like is Risou no Himo Seikatsu or Ideal Sponger Lifestyle; it makes me feel super comfortable. It's mostly a guy chilling with his wife in a medieval fantasy land. Oh, and she's the Queen; which means lots of political intrigue.

After that is the objectively best LN ever: Ovallord, which follows the misadventures of John Sene in totally not Light Novel Fantasy Land. Expect all of the puppets to have their strings cut.

The Twelve Kingdoms, for anyone who likes their story with a pinch of politics.

A certain magical index is my favorite

If you liked the show I can not recommend enough to read the LN's, the anime stops so close to the best thing to happen in the whole series

*only a mild spoiler*

Spoiler

it stops right before WW3. With Touma roaming the barren ice ridden land of Russia to stop a magician that is running the entire war from behind the scenes.

The arc is so magnificently good I would be willing to put it up as one of my favorite book series (with Game of Thrones and the Gone series)

Also if it helps Index is one of the best selling Light Novels in japan.

I heard Type-Moon actually debuted with an LN series called...erm...Kara no Kyōkai (had to copy-paste that from Wikipedia, lol). So I've downloaded the fan translation and I plan on reading it soon.

I've also read a bit of Danganronpa Zero, but didn't find it as engaging as the main VNs.

5 hours ago, Kamigoroshi said:

My favourite "theme" is reincarnation. Really have a soft spot on that, probably comes from all those great stories that involve the rebirth in another world scenario. A couple of light/web novels that I can heartly recommend are: Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~, Spirit Migration, Re: Monster, The Lazy King, World Teacher and Tensei Shitara Slime datta ken, amongst many other titles.

You are talking to me here. I am kind of attracted to those stories just as much as time loop ones. Heard about Knights & Magic, which basically sounds like Mushoku Tensei with mechas.

Novels wise, waiting for my japfu to be strong enough for All You Need Is Kill, Yukikaze, Gate, Legend of Galactic Heroes and plenty other "classics"...

Highschool dxd is ny next favorite to SAO, the only universe where angels and devils have fistfights with dragons, vampires, olympian gods, hindu gods, norse gods and Son goku. If you liked muvluv i believe you will like it as well :)

8 hours ago, Mormaethor said:

You should all read Welcome to the NHK.

No, I don't want to kill myself.

7 minutes ago, Myrv said:

No, I don't want to kill myself.

But you would not mind doing nothing all day and having some highschooler as girlfriend.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Mormaethor said:

But you would not mind doing nothing all day and having some highschooler as girlfriend.

I ain't falling for it. I've seen the anime and unless the LN has a happier ending, I don't wanna go through hell again.

12 minutes ago, Myrv said:

I ain't falling for it. I've seen the anime and unless the LN has a happier ending, I don't wanna go through hell again.

The ending was quite alright.

12 minutes ago, Myrv said:

...I'll consider it.

You must love School Days.

@Storm To be honest, here, I completely forgot about that one (Having watched the anime as an admitted guilty pleasure). There's soooo much fanservice. Yet oddly enough, I don't mind it at all. In fact, you made me have to rewatch the StudyxStudy ED from season one. And to be perfectly honest, I think that once you're past season one of the anime (Which I hear is pretty faithfully adapted until the very end of Season Three), the story picks up considerably.

@frogtaku Are you against reading AYNiK in English? Granted I ordered my copy from Books a Million online, but it is available in english. Though, I do remember my local BaM didn't carry any copies...

@Tristen I also completely forgot about NGNL. I watched the anime recently and had a ball with it. I absolutely love how intelligent the leading characters are and just how well thought out some of the games are (The Shiratori game against Jibril in particular was amazing in the anime).

@Kamigoroshi Wow! You really get around, huh? Now, I should say I'm incapable of speaking/reading Japanese at the moment (will begin studying soon), so are any of those translated anywhere? I'd rather not get my hopes up and then find out it'll be a year or two of hardcore study before I can read them...

@PulakK I've heard of Kara no Kyoukai, and if I remember, a certain infamous someone did the writing for Fate/Zero, which as I recall also started as an LN. That certain infamous someone being Gen, the Butcher...

And all this talk of Japanese literature reminds me I've got a hardback copy of the novel Another that needs reading, eventually... I should stop letting the backlog pile up... I used to never have one...

Edited by Shinygami

Hu, as LNs go I have quite a soft spot for a lot of them, even if I know objetively they're not perfect.

Madan no ou to Vanadis and Campione are probably my favourites, together with Index. Altina and Mondaiji-tachi are also very good.

Edited by Marx-93

14 minutes ago, Mormaethor said:

You must love School Days.

I actually kind of do. When I played through the first time I got Kotonoha's "best end".

I was pretty proud of that. ...Even if the characters were shit.

1 minute ago, Myrv said:

I actually kind of do. When I played through the first time I got Kotonoha's "best end".

The main characters were so completely shit... like all the female side chars were trice as good. And the protagonist was beyond useless...

I'm still waiting for shiny days. Is it fixed yet? 

And we might wanna continue this in some VN thread. Probably.

2 minutes ago, Myrv said:

I only found the characters shit in the bad endings, where Makoto's a special kind of moron and the girls let go of their sanity to absurd degrees. In the good endings, everyone at least keeps their shit together despite the drama, and that's good enough for me.

The 0verflow continuity in general, though, becomes a special kind of fucked up when you discover the madness who goes by the name of Tomaru Sawagoe.

16 minutes ago, Shinygami said:

@frogtaku Are you against reading AYNiK in English? Granted I ordered my copy from Books a Million online, but it is available in english. Though, I do remember my local BaM didn't carry any copies...

Well, most of my free time is spent studying japanese these days, so I try to kill two birds with one stone by using my hobbies in that langage as much as possible.

Do you know if the manga did a good adaptation of it? I was thinking of reading it first to ease my reading of the novel later.

2 minutes ago, frogtaku said:

Well, most of my free time is spent studying japanese these days, so I try to kill two birds with one stone by using my hobbies in that langage as much as possible.

Do you know if the manga did a good adaptation of it? I was thinking of reading it first to ease my reading of the novel later.

You know, I'd suggest watching Edge of Tomorrow even if people here say it sucks. It was pretty popular and acclaimed, so you never know. (unless you actually did watch and hate the movie, in which case FORGIVE MEEE!)

@PulakK I did watch it in fact! It was okay, didn't find it offensively bad though I guess it might suffer badly the comparison with the source material.

1 person likes this